Monday, September 13, 2010

Book Blogger Appreciation Week: September 13th to 17th, 2010

I was so happy to learn that this is Book Blogger Appreciation Week! Book bloggers deserve praise, and gold stars, and chocolate, and lots and lots of appreciation…for much longer than a week.

I joined Twitter a few months ago, which is how I discovered the book blogging community. I was, and continue to be, amazed by what a bright and professional group of people book bloggers are. After reviewing numerous witty and creative and fantastic sites, I’m so incredibly impressed by the time and effort that bloggers expend on their work. I’m not only in awe of how much they read, but also of their insightful reviews. Bloggers read, and write, and keep up with what’s new in publishing land…and that’s not easy. It takes a lot of work and dedication. In addition to maintaining their blogs, they have tons of other things to do—like juggling school and jobs and family. But they still manage to keep their blogs updated and timely so we can all enjoy them.

Another great aspect of the book blogging community is that while it encompasses people of all ages (another plus), it also includes so many young people. It’s wonderful that high school and college students can find a whole world of readers who share their interest in books and the publishing industry. None of this existed when I was in high school, but I wish it had! I always wrote and read alone, wondering…am I the only one who loves this stuff? (*picture me by myself in the high school library and insert violin music here.* No…seriously…I’m okay.)

Finally, the best aspect of the book blogging community is how welcoming it is to new authors such as yours truly. When I first joined Twitter, I had no idea what to expect…it was sort of like going to a new school or job and wondering if anyone will talk to you. But my debut novel and I have been warmly welcomed...and for that, Dear Book Bloggers, I thank you!!!