Saturday, March 26, 2011

Other Words for Love in Russia!!

I’m thrilled to announce that my novel, Other Words for Love, is going to be  published in Russia! Russian rights were sold this week to AST Publishers in Moscow, which is one of the largest publishing companies in Russia.


This exciting news reminds me of my fondness for several Russian things that I want to recommend...

1. Russian chocolate. When I was attending high school in New York, my mother had a lovely friend who was from Russia, and that friend was nice enough to give us some chocolate that she’d brought back from a visit to Russia. It was fantastic! If you’ve never tried it, do your best to get your hands on some!!



1. Eastern Promises. It’s no secret that I’m a serious film fan, and this movie is among my favorites. I saw it a few years ago, and I was so impressed with the story and Viggo Mortensen’s performance…especially his Russian accent, which he pulled of amazingly well. If you’ve never seen this movie, it’s worth a DVD rental!




2. Three Cheers for Catherine the Great. While I was working on my Master’s degree in Education at the University of South Florida, I took a class in children’s literature. During that class, I read the children’s book Three Cheers for Catherine the Great (by Cari Best, with illustrations by Giselle Potter) and absolutely loved it! Here’s a summary of the story from Amazon:

It's Sara's Russian grandma's birthday, and she has made a proclamation: "I have music in my Russian bones, and laughing in my heart. I have the day and the night, and I have all of you. That's why for me the best presents will be no presents." No presents? Sara is baffled. Her amazing grandma gives so much to everyone. How can they have a birthday party for her without gifts? Sara realizes that any "no present" for Grandma has to be pretty special. And the "no present" she finally gives is the best kind of all.

This is a great story with adorable, quirky illustrations (my favorite kind!), so if you’re in need of a gift for a child or just enjoy children’s literature, this is the book for you!